Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Don't Cuss the Fiddler

A couple of losses in the fiddle world to note. Both Vassar Clements and Cajun great Rufus Thibodeaux have died. Clements started out as one of Bill Monroe's Bluegrass Boys, I knew his name from various collaborations over the years, such as with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band or Old & In The Way (below) but check out the biography at his website, his versatility was astounding. As was Thibodeaux's, a great fiddler in a genre which throws 'em up like there's no tomorrow.

In my dreams, there I am sitting opposite Eddie and he says "So, for the million dollars. What was the first Cajun single to be certified gold?" And I furrow and squint and stare off into middle distance a bit -- just to draw out the tension, you see. Finally I say, "Well, Eddie. I'll never be here again. Can't die wondering. Please lock in Lache pas la patate by Jimmy C Newman with Rufus Thibodaux on fiddle." Cue streamers, oversized cheques and a life of snorting cocaine from Johnny Depp's thighs.

Anyway.

Old & In the Way -- Old & In the Way (Jerry Garcia, Peter Rowan, David Grisman, John Kahn, Vassar Clements) (2.9mb)

Lache pas la patate -- Jimmy C Newman (2.2mb)



On a happier fiddling note, Andy Baylor's new website is a going concern. Andy is truly one of Australia's greatest musical treasures, with a versatility that would put old Rufus in the shade, one of the few things that could make me want to live in Melbourne and a top bloke too. I have personally stalked the man through Tamworth and he didn't seem to mind at all. I still have a bit of shame left, so I don't steal music from people I might actually meet again in person. Here's some Harry Choates instead.

Last week I went to the place which shades the Harbour as Sydney's greatest asset: Yesterday and Today records in Parramatta and acquired a number of discs you will be hearing more about here soon. Including a gorgeous Bear Family compilation Jole Blon : 24 Artists on One Theme.

Jole Blon -- Harry Choates (2.9mb)


And this, just because I like it.

Don't Cuss the Fiddle
-- Kris Kristofferson (2.9mb)

No comments: