Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Easy and Slow

Tom Waits has good taste in music, no shocks there. He repeats the claim Frank's In the Wee Small Hours (one of my favourites too) was the very first concept album. I dunno.

I'd like this on my tombstone:

6 The Basement Tapes by Bob Dylan (Columbia) 1975
With Dylan, so much has been said about him, it's difficult so say anything about him that hasn't already been said, and say it better. Suffice it to say Dylan is a planet to be explored. For a songwriter, Dylan is as essential as a hammer and nails and a saw are to a carpenter. I like my music with the rinds and the seeds and pulp left in - so the bootlegs I obtained in the Sixties and Seventies, where the noise and grit of the tapes became inseparable from the music, are essential to me.

No comments: