Thursday, March 09, 2006

Brucenanny

I must say when I heard The Boss's new album was going to be covers of (or songs "inspired by") Pete Seeger I was a little underwhelemed. Brucie doing trad folk in his own way, very cool. But ... Pete Seeger? Not my first choice.

But this Backstreets report (second story down) makes me just a little bit excited. The listening party was at B.B King's in NYC where, incidentally, I saw the Del McCoury Band in 2001.

It's a party, folks. Played with traditional instruments like banjo and fiddle, the sounds on Bruce Springsteen's upcoming Columbia Records release, We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions, conjur images of an old-fashioned hootenanny. Sound-wise, think more along the lines of The Band and the collaboration between Wilco and Billy Bragg for the two volumes of Woody Guthrie compositions rather than Springsteen's contribution for the covers of Seeger songs in 1998. At a March 7 advance listening party for the album, Springsteen said the songs are equal parts "street corner, parlor, church, and gutter."

Out Anzac Day.

No comments: