Friday, June 10, 2005

Friday Night No. 1




Bar Room Buddies
Merle Haggard and Clint Eastwood
Elektro 46634
Writers: Milton Brown, Cliff Crofford, Steve Dorff, Snuff Garrett (it took four people??)
No 1: July 26, 1980

File it away for pub trivia, people. What was Clint Eastwood's only number one song? Why, Bar Room Buddies with Merle Haggard from the eminantly forgettable Bronco Billy.

Tom Rowland in The Billboard Book of Country Number Ones takes up the story.

"I think you can say that Merle Haggard had a hit and sort of dragged me along," Clint Eastwood told Rolling Stome's Tim Cahill in 1985 ... Merle apparently agreed.

"I Almost prostituted myself in some ways ... [Eastwood] shouldn't sell his camera, I'll put it that way. I told him before we started, "I hope you're a better singer than I am an actor," but I believe I'm a better actor than he is a singer."


Listen: Bar Room Buddies -- Merle Haggard and Clint Eastwood

No comments: