Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Have updated the gig guide a bit, will be adding more during the day. Please let me know what you know. Reader Tom encourages me to check out the Corb Lund Band, I saw their name bandied around Tamworth but didn't get there. According to their website, they are a "blazing roots-country band." I don't know how "blazing" you are allowed to be at the Side On, but I will try to be there. They are also playing a Canadian Showcase at the Canuckistan Consulate in Sydney on Feb 16, no further info. Alarmingly, they link to Nickleback from their site.

Catherine Britt is going to be on the gatefold cover of FHM's Women of Country Music edition, along with a whole lot of people I have never heard of (I've heard of Tift Merritt of course.) They appeared to be dressed in underwear -- check out that link, excellent Tennessean article.

Jessi Alexander sounds promising however, if only for quotes like: "You know you’re living a country song when your dad’s in jail, your car is broke, you’ve lost your job and your boyfriend’s cheating on you. I’ve had all those things happen at once. My dad’s in and out of jail all the time. I’m used to it." Catherine discovered in Newcastle by Elton John, though? I think not.

John Hiatt has recorded a new album "at Memphis' renowned Ardent Studios, in what is described as the very first sessions to use a "real world" DSD recorder. Produced by Jim Dickinson and engineered by John Hampton, the New West Records album features Luther and Cody Dickinson of The North Mississippi All-Stars on guitar and drums, with David Hood on bass." No idea what DSD technology is, but I am thrilled by the rootsy line up. Go out and buy Crossing Muddy Waters and/or Slow Turning and/or Comes Alive at Budokan and/or Walk On ... oh hell, just go buy them all, OK?


This Just In Legend Merle Kilgore has died.


This should cheer up America Randy-hating Tim after all the spam dramas: Lucinda Williams' new double live CD Live at the Fillmore West is rescheduled for May 10. Setlist at Rolling Stone. I read this news on Chromewaves.

While I wasn't looking, ABC dig radio went and launched a whole seperate "Dig Country" section with radio streaming.

No comments: