Tuesday, October 05, 2004

A novel for all you uncultured swill who drop by here.

The author's [Silas House's] lifelong love of music runs through "The Coal Tattoo," from Buddy Holly and Hank Williams to Janis Joplin and The Beatles. House writes frequently for No Depression, the Nashville-based magazine devoted to the new traditionalist or "alt country" music scene, and has interviewed the likes of Hank Williams III and Lucinda Williams.

"I was just raised to really respect music. It was always present. I can't remember ever a time when I was a child when there wasn't some form of music going on. My mother was a gospel singer, so I traveled all over the region with her when she was singing. My aunt was a wild rock-and-roller, so she would take me to Bob Seger concerts and honky tonks when I was about 14.

Then my dad always really loved classic country music, so we were always listening to that on the radio in his truck when we were cruising around. And I had several family members who played the banjo and the fiddle, so I was exposed to all kinds of music. I use it a lot in my writing. It makes it so much easier to get to know a character if you know what kind of music they like. I show a lot about a character that way."



No comments: