Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Banjo on My Mind

Crossposted at HickoryWind.

Been thinking about Earl Scruggs. As you do. Not the banjo inventin', Monroe baitin', Flatt duelin' Earl but the Earl Scruggs Revue. I picked up a LP for a couple of bucks second hand, Strike Anywhere (1977, the year Elvis died and I was born) and am intrigued. Such a great sound, really rollicking country-rock, supported by the driving dripperty drip of Earl breaking down all over the shop. I want more. There's just the one Best Of on CD as far as I can tell.

I'd like to be able to place them in the development of country-rock/alt.country web of influence but there's not a lot of info around. Were they big back then? I mean, plenty of people were marrying old time forms with rawk instruments and sensibility but not many were bona fide traditional music legends like Earl. It just seems like it should have a significance beyond it's current profile. Just thinking.

More Earl. I came last in my office footy tipping pool this year and so got my money back: $26. With this windfall I purchased on CD The Three Pickers, a PBS concert (there's also a DVD) featuring Scruggs, Doc Watson and Ricky Skaggs.

I was going to write about it until it became clear it was Totally Unreviewable.

Track 1: Feast Here Tonight OMG!! Perfect. It will change your life!
Track 2: What Would You Give in Exchange for Your Soul? OMG! This is like the greatest song I have ever heard!!!
Track 3: Spoken Introduction OMG! I love it!!!! Such great accents!!!

You can see how this would not work. Just get it, 'kay?

No comments: